Just like natural teeth, dental implants need regular care to remain healthy. Your Houma, LA, dentist, Dr. Corey Porche of Porche Dental Care helps you maintain your implants and offers implant restoration should your implant or crown ever become damaged.
How to care for your dental implant
These tips will help you keep your dental implant in good condition:
- Brush and Floss Daily: Brushing and flossing remove plaque, a bacterial biofilm that causes cavities. Although you can't get a cavity in your new tooth, plaque buildup around the base of the implant could cause peri-implantitis, an infection that loosens dental implants. Fortunately, it's easy to prevent the infection by flossing around the implant every day and brushing your teeth twice a day.
- Wear Your Nightguard: If you grind and clench your teeth when you sleep, your dentist probably recommended a nightguard when you received your dental implant. Nightguards reduce stress that could crack the crown portion of your new tooth or loosen the implant. If you don't have a nightguard and think you may be grinding or clenching your teeth, call the Houma dental office to schedule an appointment.
- Don't Smoke or Drink Heavily: Smoking slows healing and may affect the implant's ability to bond to your jaw. Alcohol can also lengthen healing time.
- Avoid Hard Foods and Objects: Biting into a hard pretzel or opening a package with your teeth can crack or damage natural teeth and crowns and could even loosen dental implants. Stay away from these foods, and use the appropriate tools to open packages.
- Call Your Dentist If You Notice Any Issues with Your Implant: Many implant problems can be corrected during a visit to the dentist. Minor chips and cracks can often be repaired with implant restoration. Major cracks or damage may require replacing your crown. Your implant may seem a little wobbly if the abutment that connects the implant to the crown is loose. Replacing the abutment can solve the problem. If your implant is loose, it may be necessary to remove it, then add a new implant.
Implant restoration can help you protect your dental implant. If you're concerned about a dental implant problem, call your dentist in Houma, LA, Dr. Corey Porche of Porche Dental Care, at (985) 876-5564 to schedule your appointment.